Wholesome Berry Breakfast Cereal
I am not a morning person so even after I pull myself out of bed I am not usually very coherent until I’ve had some coffee. Not being a morning person also means that it’s easy for me to skip breakfast. For a long time my normal breakfast has consisted of nothing but coffee…just coffee. Without my coffee, I tend to do crazy things like put cumin instead of cinnamon on my oatmeal and not on purpose. Yes, I actually did that. I told you I was not very coherent in the morning didn’t I? Thankfully the smell alerted me to my mistake and I dumped it out before I ate any of it.
One of the things I am working in my journey to getting healthier is eating more often and that includes breakfast even if that means preparing something before I am fully awake. It has been a challenge to force myself to eat breakfast everyday but I am getting better at it.
One of my major challenges in making sure I get breakfast everyday has been finding something that is easy to prepare yet still good for me. I want something that is going to help me get going in the morning not something loaded with sugar that is just going to make me crash mid morning.
I try to find things with fiber, protein or other good nutrients to help get me going in the morning which is why I love this berry breakfast cereal. It’s packed with lots of wholesome goodness.
I initially tried quinoa on its own but wasn’t a huge fan so that’s why I decided to mix it with oats. I also added flax/chia for extra fiber and omega-3. You can add whatever berries you like. I just love the combination of raspberries and blueberries so that is what I used. My favorite part of this cereal is how the raspberries are crushed and mixed in so you get the tart berry flavor in every bite.
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds (or a blend of both)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional – sliced almonds shown)
- additional berries (optional)
- Combine oats, quinoa, flax and water in a bowl and mix. Microwave for one minute. Remove and stir.
- Add milk, berries and sweeten to taste. Mix until well combined. Return to microwave and cook for one more minute or until heated through.
- Crush the raspberries and mix well.
- Top with nuts and additional berries.
Stove Top Directions: Place dry ingredients and water in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook for one to two minutes longer. Stir in milk, berries and sweetener. Cook until heated through.