Healthy Grilled Bell Pepper, celery and onion Salad
Combining sweet flavours, this salad is satisfying. It is a salad of contrasts, combining nuts, fruit, beans, vegetables and more, and the result is something versatile enough to be served as a side dish or even as lunch in its own right, perhaps with some crusty bread on the side.
You can mix and match the ingredients in this dish, swapping the black eye peas for cannellini beans or kidney beans, or swap the pine nuts for walnuts or cashews, or even change the cilantro for parsley. That is how versatile a lot of salad recipes are. You can stamp your personality on them, and make them exactly as you wish. The following salad is easy to prepare. Once the veggies are grilled and chopped, you can toss them with other ingredients, as well as the homemade dressing, and that is all you need to do to make this beautiful dish.
Pineapple, Red Pepper and Black Eye Pea Salad
Summary: Grilled vegetables combine with beans, pineapple, hot pepper and more, to make this exciting and unusual salad. Serve this as a side dish or enjoy it for lunch.
Recipe type: Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
2 15 ounce cans black eye peas, rinsed and drained
4 stalks celery
½ red onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 jalapeño chillies, seeded and chopped
2 cups diced, peeled, cored, fresh pineapple
2 red bell peppers in ½ inch pieces
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup olive oil
¼ iceberg lettuce
Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Grill the peppers, celery, and onion over a medium-hot grill until they are tender.
- Chop the onion and celery into bite-sized pieces. Mix the black eye peas, pine nuts, pineapple, chilli, grilled vegetables, and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Whisk the mustard, garlic, and cider vinegar together in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil gradually.
- Add this to the salad and toss well to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- You can prepare this part one day ahead if you want.
- Line a large bowl with the lettuce and fill it with the salad.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve.
This grilled pepper and pineapple salad is colourful, flavorful and full of nutrients. The photo shows the vivid colours of the bell pepper and beans. You can see we have swapped the black eye peas for cannellini beans, and that is to show you how versatile this dish is. Feel free to add other ingredients you wish. Offering spicy and mild flavours, this contrasting dish is sure to please not only the eye but also your belly. This is a refreshing salad for a warm day, and you can also make it in advance for lunch